Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
On Thursday, April 2, the IFSC Executive Board discussed contingency plans in the wake of coronavirus. It was agreed that the following action plan will be followed.
i. No IFSC competition will take place until June 30, 2020, meaning that the competitions that were provisionally scheduled within that date have been postponed
ii. To allow athletes, officials and organisers to prepare in the best possible way, competitions scheduled on a determined month will have to be confirmed with a 60-days notice:
May 1: Possible confirmation of all the event provisionally scheduled in July
June 1: Possible confirmation of all the event provisionally scheduled in August
July 1: Possible confirmation of all the event provisionally scheduled in September
August 1: Possible confirmation of all the event provisionally scheduled in October and November
iii. Now that the new dates of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games have been set, the IFSC Sport Department will also start working on the 2021 IFSC Season alongside National Federations and Event Organisers
iv. The IFSC will keep working closely with the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee on the review of all the processes aimed at the preparation and delivery of the Olympic Games, including a readjusted communication plan that will keep promoting Sport Climbing in the lead up to its official debut on the Olympic stage in 2021
To protect the IFSC and mitigate financial risks, all the costs will be constantly monitored, while the ones related to unessential services will be consistently reduced. Also, the IFSC will apply for extraordinary unemployment funds provided by the Italian Government through the National Institute for Social Security. These funds will cover part of the staff salaries during these difficult times of inactivity or reduced activity caused by the outbreak of COVID-19.
IFSC President Marco Scolaris said:
“We are living hard times and we live in uncertainty. However, are not going to give up and we are setting programmes with different options for the upcoming months, depending on circumstances. We want to be ready when better days will come and we will climb the world again.”
Feature Image by Daniel Gajda/IFSC